November 11, 2007

Kids...

So my husband asked what the bit about Bug's back talk to your mama stuff was about...interesting that he hasn't picked up on it. Anyhow, since you probably want some examples, here are two, that occured yesterday. They are generally funny because they catch us off guard, but I'm sure unchecked they are bound to cause trouble later.

1. The set up. Bug doesn't want to get out of the carseat and go to a furniture store. Whining ensues. Paul says to Bug "Bug, it isn't always about what you want." Bug says to Paul: "Dad, it isn't always about what you want me to do either." End of story. We did manage to get him into the furniture store after bribing him.

2. The set up. In the car with A/C blowing. Me sitting in the middle of two car seats in the back. April to Paul: Please turn the A/C down. (I'm sure I said please...). Paul: turns A/C off. April: You don't have to turn it off, I just want it turned down. You know I hate the direct flow of a/c in my face. Bug: turns right and blows air at my face.

Like I said, mostly funny, but bound to cause trouble eventually.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

must have had to be there for it to be funny. ha ha. but not real sure how to make a course correction either. goooood luck. except, no bribing when bad behavior is involved.
love ya, laura,probably not so favorite of an aunt any more.

Matt "The Bull" said...

oh man, heh that is funny. But, like I heard a self help speaker once say. "don't let that offend you cuz I got better stuff to offend you later". There is a CD that Melissa and I base our parenting on (by the way. you never know if you were a good parent or not until the end so...)
It's called "lets fix the kids" it a series of lectures we love and listen to on all our road trips.
matt

Matt "The Bull" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh brother what is the big deal. He is SO cute and very well behaved.

Lacey said...

Hi April,
I loved reading your blog. You write like you talk, it's great, I love it. Your boys are adorable.

Lynn said...

First of all, Matt - where can I get those CD's. Second, I also have a clever back talker and what do you do, except bite your tongue b/c they are so witty? Since I have other battles to fight (like whining, which I absolutely will not tolerate), I usually just ignore the back talking. And then I recount it to the husband, grandparents etc. anyone who will listen and we all marvel at how smart she is :)

(Also, I hope that one day she'll be able to use her wit to put someone in their place who tries to convince her to do something naughty. As my dad says, strong-willed children, while difficult to raise, make excellent adults.)