May 13, 2009

Cake Making Simplified


This past weekend, I made a cake for our neighbor's birthday party. She turned four and loves flip flops. It was a pool party, so I found a version of this cake online and recreated it as best I could -- but I have found some great secrets to easy cake making.

1. Buy your frosting at Sams Club -- they have a buttercream frosting that will not melt in the 90 degree heat and humidity. It can be tinted and is "stiff" enough for decorations. It does not have to be refrigerated and this is a really good thing since you'll have 28lbs of it!

2. Buy your 10" cakes at Sams Club - they will sell you eight individual layers for just $13. This doesn't keep you from baking the other layers, but boy, what a time saver and they are especially dense for carving. I don't have a picture, but I also made a Florida cake.

3. Make a batch of simple syrup (sugar and water) that will keep indefinitely in your fridge and brush your cake with it to lock moisture in.

4. Avoid eating all of the left over cake!!!!!hahaha -- impossible for me.


13 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow--seasoned triathlete, professional cake decorator . . . what's next? You GO, girl!

And yes, I did get your emails about the training. THANK YOU! I'll do at least one this summer, although even typing that makes me nervous. =)

jbel said...

ok Bakerella- you have really outdone yourself and have become quite the domesticated momma in such a short time!

I'm not nearly as domestic and have NO excuse not to be ... except that I can't seem to cook dinner well, sew a straight line, or frost a double-layered cake without the whole thing tipping over sideways!

I know you gave tips on how to do it (the cake baking/decorating), but I'm at a loss just reading the words.

FightOnLara said...

Since when did you start working for Sam's Club? :o) I must confess, my cake-making skills have gone by the wayside since we haven't had a birthday since January (which I also DIDN'T make a cake for). So when are you and Tracy opening up shop again?

Ridd Rants & Raves said...

Wow - that's a great cake!

Lindsay said...

Such a cute cake! I thought the flip-flops were real until I enlarged it. Well done!

Merrilee said...

So basically you are a cake making Goddess! That cake is incredible. Yet another to live in TX: enjoy the cake baking you are a pro at! Good work girl!

Betsy said...

The simple syrup tip is new to me...this may sound dumb, but do you mean brush it on after you ice it or before? You have to clarify for us novices...

I didn't know about the icing and cakes at Sam's either...very smart..that would cut a lot of the time out.

My kids are only getting homemade cakes every other year for awhile. You're awesome!

Jenn said...

I love this! True summer cake!

Kellie said...

Wow April! The cake is fantastic. Very impressed with your skills.

The McKinstry Family said...

That cake is awesome, wow you have become quite the baker. I wish that I could make a cake like that one, my skills are far from that.

noelle said...

oh, april. always amazing us with your skillz, sister. you're a star.

Melissa Oman said...

Great cake!! You have yet another talent. Thanks for sharing your tips.

Lynn said...

Wow! That is one amazing cake. When does your bakery open?