April 30, 2008

A thought on experts...

I just want to mention a few thoughts on experts. I need more in my family and I'm not talking about the educated, well-rounded types, like my goodly parents and brothers, who will do and try anything to help us out and do a great job. (Matt, read on, you're in this later). At any rate, I in no way mean to disrespect or discourage those people from helping me but I am wondering about the kind who get paid to be experts including, but not limited to the following:

1. Child has unusual ____ (fill in the blank)
2. Air Conditioning, heating, plumbing not working...
3. Car not starting (even when it's because the husband has left me and his oldest child stranded at church with HIS car that has NO GAS!!!!)
4. House needs painting, repairing, cleaning, organizing, cleaning (did I already say that once?)
5. Car salesman
6. Attorney who reads the fine print (don't be confused -- I know you're thinking I should have one of these, but the operative issue here is "reads the fine print"!) If you ever need a "get out of jail free" card, then you might have a friend in us.
7. Owner of something large to haul a variety of things, including the 700 bags of leaves still in my back yard - which as of right now are not actually in bags!
8. Did someone mention computer genius? (there is one of these in my extended family, but he's probably too intellectually superior to be on my rapid dial for the 1 D 10 T type issues I have. (Hey, the computer is dying, can anyone save my pictures? Later on at the GeekSquad: of course we can, for a small fee...
9. Hair/Makeup artist or plastic surgeon!
10. Fashion diva and personal shopper/trainer/amazing motivator/drill sergeant

Seriously, is it too much to ask for Christian and Benjamin to change course now so they can either become a mechanic, doctor, or a/c, heating/plumbing technician? I bet there's a ton of money in it and I could possibly be convinced to help pay for the schooling! Plus I know an attorney who could help them incorporate. For the rest of you, please include your expertise in your comment so I can put you on "the list"! I don't have an expertise, but if I make up the list of experts, then I'll have "the list" and be indispensable.

I did use the gifts and skills of one such expert this past Monday as I consulted the ever-funny cousin Matt who is a Nurse Anesthetist, on vacation, and still took my call (your wife is such a good woman!) Purpose of consult was the placement of ear tubes in 10 month old T. Matt gave out expert advice and warned me about his likely reaction to the gas which was indeed V. BAD (screaming, writhing in discomfort and upset for about 30 min), but I am here to report that we are all better for it. After having chronic ear infections since Nov 07, 3 perforations since Jan, and including ANOTHER ear infection when they placed the tubes yesterday, T seems to be a new boy (read: louder). How is that possible? Well, now that the fluid is gone (leaking out slowly-ugh!) he can hear himself and thinks he sounds great(like any F-berry!)!

4 comments:

Wilde ones said...

I could've used a car expert and attorney expert a few months ago when our car was totaled and we bourght a new used car that fell apart on us . . .Maya had tubes and adenoids out in January. My Matt being an anesthesiologist, got her the royal treatment - no crying, no bad reactions, just extra "feel good" sleepy drugs and a very groggy girl. I love that you checked out my blog. We're actually in San Antonio now. We're going to Hawaii just for a visit. So excited!

Love looking at your family pics!

Sarah said...

The best money I spend is on a housekeeper. Yes, I admit it. She (or they, really, it's a small team) comes every other week. LOVE IT. Highly recommended. The worst part is prepping (read: cleaning) my house beforehand. I don't want them tripping over my baskets of clean laundry when they're trying to vacuum and dust baseboards. So at least every other week, it forces me to be on top of my game.

If you ever need someone to interpret an X-ray, CT, or MRI, you have our number (or at least blog address).

Merrilee said...

I'm with you all the way on this one! What happened to people have useful skills to volunteer? Like carpentery, plumbing, auto mechanics? These skills are a dying breed and it stressed me out that I know no one that could help me with them.

However, when it comes to genius' I know - I have you on speed dial! :)

Lynn said...

Personally I use the Internet to get as much info as possible on a subject and then call myself the expert. The problem being that I don't trust those that are supposed to be the experts - doctors, mechanics etc. to always be honest and forthcoming. We're alike in that you probably challenge your husband in some areas of legal advice and I usually question B. on his medical knowledge. As mothers we know a heck of a lot sometimes. We just need more time and a good set of tools.