May 9, 2008

One week and counting...

In case you feel like reading an update on my condition, I am one week and a day without food and counting. (That's right and no you don't lose as much weight as you would hope). I had my first bite of ice cream yesterday, I've been to the ER once because I was so hyped up and dehydrated that I literally needed to be put down (thank heaven's for morphine and not so thankful for dehydrated veins and the pokey nurse). The genius dr told me yesterday, "well of course someone of your (and I quote) advanced age is going to have some trouble. It can take 3-4 weeks to heal." You've GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Don't you think that would have been helpful information BEFORE you took them out and gave me the paper encouraging me to have a first week's diet of macaroni & cheese and ice cream -- which of course is absurd since I spent the first three days barely able to swallow WATER!!!!! We are still living at my parent's house because I can't take care of myself and the kids (isn't that an outrage that Dr's actually think it's okay to do this kind of surgery?) and consume 1 TBSP of hydrocodone every 4-6 hours. I'm thinking that by Sunday we might wander back to our own home if I can tolerate the pain on tylenol alone. (Lynn, I may try the honey). Hopefully this is the last medical update you'll have to hear about - except the one where I'm asking what my first FABULOUS meal should be (trust me - everything looks delicious at this point)!

7 comments:

Merrilee said...

OMGoodness! You poor thing! You are such a trooper, and I can't believe it has and will take so long to heal. I definetly think you should go all out for the big first supper! Live it up girl! Hopefully the pain will go away soon. And here I thought getting your tonsils out was sooooo cool because you got to eat ice cream like it was your job. Bummer...

Kellie said...

Bunch of liars! Every surgery hurts. Don't let them fool you. Sorry you are in pain. I thought it was bad when i was 10 and getting them out. Can't imagine your experience. Good luck dear friend.

Todd.Melissa.Addyson.Kaitlin said...

It doesn't sound like you're loving life today. :( I think I'll keep my tonsils. I didn't know you had a blog. Your kids are adorable and the stories are great. I would love to see you before we move. Todd will be in Houston for two days this week working at the cadaver lab. Should I attempt the trip with now two kids? I would love it. We'll see.

Sarah said...

Yeah, I was the smart one who insisted Gav have surgery to remove his tonsils AND straighten out (or attempt to) his deviated septum. I was tired of his snorting and sore throats. His recovery was a BEAR, and he was soooo not happy with me, but he DID recover.
Gav doesn't like inflicting pain, so that's one of the reasons he went for radiology (the other being that he doesn't really like patients--LOL).

Lynn said...

You're at your parents house...in MD or TX? Depending on where you are depends on where you should go to eat. :)

Merrilee said...

I tag you! Check my blog for instructions, I hope you participate even though hopefully I'll know most of your answers! :) Love ya!

Matt "The Bull" said...

did't I tell you, you'd have a pretty shitty week after??? I am feeeling bad that I didn't warn you enough.