November 17, 2008

For Holly...


I just found out that this little girl's mom, Holly, passed away on Saturday after years of battling MS and MS-associated complications. Though some of you didn't ever meet Holly, you probably know someone like her and hopefully will forgive my need to say something here (my pseudo online journal).

With all that Holly has endured, she was easily the most optimistic and positive person I have ever met. She moved to the Germantown area as her husband began med school and her young daughter was just old enough to sit in her wheel-chair bound lap. Holly could barely see well enough to read let alone drive, or get around easily, but this never deterred her. She would sing what she knew, she would belt out her testimony from the back of the chapel because the microphone was impossible to get to, she agreed to be the YW president and then LOVED the YW with her whole heart along with each sister who served there. I had the fortune of living around the corner from Holly for a short time -- every so often I did a little something that I thought was "helping." In my busy way, I minimized her suffering and that of her family's needs. Holly would probably forgive me easily for this, but tonight I feel sad that I didn't do more and I am reminded that when you are in the service of your fellow beings, you are truly in the service of your God. This earth will miss Holly, but the Heavens will rejoice for she is a noble daughter of God. Holly truly was an inspiration who made this world a better place to be. Our thoughts and prayers are with Christian, Sarah and their families.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

You are a very sweet friend. What a touching post--Holly is definitely in a better place now and free from the ails of this life that she endured so well.

noelle said...

i know what "little" you did for me in our short time together - what "little" you did for everyone around you. you are one of the best examples of service i have ever met. what a wonderful, kind friend you are. i wish no one had to experience this kind of premature loss of a loved one.

The McKinstry Family said...

I love this tribute to Holly that you did. I have been searching for a picture for her, so that I could pay tribute, so glad you found on of cute Sarah. She will definetly be missed. I also wish that while I was living near her I could have done more for her.

Merrilee said...

I remember hearing about her! April you are truly a beautiful and wonderful person and are the answer to many people's prayers. I should know. :) I hope Holly's family is okay and are feeling the comfort of the Lord right now.

Okay so I'm super duper behind on the bloggin. So let me also say, congrats to Ben and Melissa. A VERY HAPPY Birthday to your mama! So glad to hear Bug is on the mend. And last but not least, that cake is amazing! You are a pro!!! So glad to hear all is well! :)

jbel said...

Hey April thanks for posting. While I wasn't in the ward too long with Holly's family, she impressed me too. I echo what another one of your friends said about the "little service" you performed for me "in our short time together." Give yourself more credit. I was always AMAZED by what you could accomplish. You were so busy, yet you ALWAYS had time to serve me on more than a few occasions.

FightOnLara said...

Heck, don't make me cry this early in the morning. I remember you telling me about her a few weeks ago. What an inspirational person. And while I'm sad for her family's loss, I'm glad her physical trials are over.

Don't sell yourself short. Merrilee is right. You are the answer to many (MANY!!!) people's prayers. It feels trite to say "thank you" over and over again.

Lynn said...

Thank you for putting into words, the thoughts and feelings that many of us share. And what a cute picture of little Sarah.